Being a mom is an amazing job. Its a very rewarding job. It’s a selfless job with very little recognition. There are no yearly evaluations or raises. I’m lucky enough that I can stay at home with our kids during the week and only work weekend nights. This is something I have chosen and I know it’s not for every mom. I enjoy it but there are days that it can be a very lonely gig. Sure I have my kiddos but I still long for adult conversation and interaction. I’ve learned over the years that there are a few things that I need to do to keep me sane.
So here is my short list of things I do.
1. Scheduling play dates are a must. It doesn’t always have to be something big like a trip to the zoo. Even a play date at a friends house is refreshing to be out socializing with another adult.
2. Rotating toys and books! I keep toys and books out all the time but I’ve learned that toys and books that have been put away for a few weeks are treated like brand New when I bring them out.
3. Taking time for myself when the kids are napping. I used to take this time to get things done around the house but now I take this time to read, do yoga, watch something on the DVR, calling and chatting with a friend without distractions or just enjoy a cup of warm coffee without being interrupted.
4. Letting the kids watch a movie or play on the iPad for a while. I used to feel guilty for putting the kids in front of the TV or iPad but now I realize that if this is something that can give me some time to get things done around the house it’s ok!
5. Getting a babysitter at least once a month so we can go on a date or just go to dinner without the kids.
These are just a few of the things that help keep me enjoying my life of being a stay at home mom.