I’m 29 and have been “out” for 6 years now and I have to say since becoming an openly gay woman I have been asked lots of questions so I decided that I wanted to write out a short list of some of my personal favorites in no particular order.
* “When did you know for sure that you were gay or have you always known?” (Well I kissed a girl and I liked it.)
* “Do you think it’s a choice or are you born that way?” (Love that one bc it makes it sound like it’s some kind of birth defect)
* “Did you have a bad experience with a man?” (No, I dated lots of great guys just bc I’m gay doesn’t mean I was a battered or abused woman.)
* “Do you think that you just hadn’t met the right guy yet?” (I tried them on in all shapes, sizes & colors…. None seem to fit…So, No, that’s not the problem.)
* “Can I watch?” (Guys… Really?!? What the hell is wrong with you?!? Were YOU born that way???)
* “Who’s the guy and who’s the girl?” (Well we’re lesbians so both of us are girls…)
* “Now when you say that you have sex…what do you consider sex?” (Hmmmm…. I think I’ll pass and let you think about that one.)
So when it comes to us getting pregnant other than the question “who is going to carry the baby?”, the next most frequently asked question is “If you don’t mind if ask, How exactly does that work?”. Usually I don’t mind explaining to the uneducated individuals about what lesbian couples have to go through in order to get pregnant…most people are generally interested in the steps of the process and are full of questions. But knowing southerners like do…some of them really aren’t interested at all…they just want to be nosey.
I really don’t mind answering questions about being a lesbian…I actually enjoy educating people about “the gays”. There are so many inquiring minds out there…And I look forward to hearing…”Can I ask you a question?”